Monday, December 17, 2012

Vegas Recommendations


I haven’t been to Vegas a lot, but I did go the last two Christmases for family reunions, so my parents took us to some pretty awesome places. I also took my boyfriend for his 23rd birthday this September and my best friend for her birthday in November, so here’s where I’ve been that’s been awesome:

Gordon Ramsey Steak at Paris
Amazing amazing meal. The meal began with the best martini I have had in a while and the bread selection included over 5 different kinds that all tasted like a pastry shop. The steaks were Ruth’s Chris worthy and custom cut, but very expensive. I loved the restaurant and the ambiance until we got the bill and they had charged us 10 dollars for a bottle of water.

Sage at the Aria
BEST meal other than L’Atelier in Vegas. Five course meal was a lot at over 100 dollars per person but one of the best restaurant experiences I have had. (I will post more about best restaurants in the world I have been to later). I had caramel coated scallops and an amazing chocolate flavored short rib and they had BACON bread. Need I say more?! Oh yeah, the drinks were fantastic and the dessert was amazing. The service was FLAWLESS. They would get a 5 Diamond rating in my book.

Bellagio Spa
Had one of the best massages I have ever had, and I go to Massage Envy every month. The other places I have had a massage include Glen Ivy spa in Corona and the Grand Hotel in Michigan on Mackinac Island. (That might be a post for another time).  Their ambiance made it worth shelling out 175 for a massage of a lifetime. This was Matt’s birthday present, so I know I went overboard, but I wanted it to be memorable. When you look down at the floor, they even had flowers floating in a bowl of water for a calming effect.

Ceasar Palace Qua Spa 
$40 for the day without a service, to experience the baths and steam rooms and ice room with complementary tea and heated towels. This is my best friend’s and my go-to place for ultimate relaxation in Vegas. I have been here at least 3 times and each time was better than the last. They have heated stone chairs to sleep on and anything you could want for a day at the spa. I definitely have spent more than 4 hours in there in one day, although 2 of them were spent reading while drinking tea.

L’Atelier at MGM
Best French meal you will ever pay for, no chef can beat Joel Robuchon. He is world famous, and I must say that his Vegas restaurant is comparable to his Parisian restaurant, both of which I have been to. The Vegas one, because of the dollar exchange rate might actually be cheaper and you’re getting the same food which includes: pot de creme for dessert and pourable mashed potatoes. 

STK at Cosmo
Amazing steak and wine at the Cosmopolitan. Loved the ambiance and the menu for a contemporary steak dinner. I drank a lot and talked with family, so I admit I don’t remember every detail except that the service was great and there was not a bad bite of food that night.

Olives at Bellagio
Todd English’s restaurant, all I need to say is there was WHITE CHOCOLATE bread and it was heavenly. Yes, I judge restaurants on what type of bread they serve. 

Yellowtail at Bellagio
The best sushi japanese-inspired restaurant in Vegas. My parents and I never miss it when we’re there.

Coca Cola and M&M’s store (near MGM)
Fun place to go with a soda sample platter, 16 sodas from around the world for only 7 dollars! Watch out for that nasty tasting one though, I can never remember which country it is. M&M’s store has great Christmas ornaments and a whole wall of customizable M&Ms in every flavor.

Paris Buffet
Great buffet with bottomless mimosas and an awesome dessert table.

Aria Buffet
Beautifully decorated with the best quality buffet food I have had, second ONLY to Cosmopolitan. Way better than Bellagio and Mandalay Bay.

Haze nightclub Aria
If you’re staying at Vdara, Aria or Cosmopolitan this is one of the best clubs to walk to. It’s straight forward with good drinks and great people. I went with a group of girls and we weren’t bombarded with creeps like we were at Tryst.

XS nightclub Wynn
One of the best nightclubs I have been to. They have consistently great DJs and great shots which are not too outrageous. They have a nice bathroom which matters if you’re a girl who waited in line for a while. They also have a courtyard so it’s never too crowded, and the trick is to pre-buy your tickets and get there when the club opens if you hate waiting in line. 

Tryst nightclub Encore
Amazing waterfall backdrop and great decor inside, but creepy dudes on the dance floor.

The Bank nightclub Bellagio
Great consistent club with fantastic music. Never seems too busy and I would come back here again. Way better than Pure at Ceasar’s Palace. Although I must say, Pure has the STRONGEST drinks.

Cosmopolitan Brunch 
(BEST BRUNCH IN VEGAS) it’s called the Wicked Spoon. They serve you individual portions in little pots and pans like a trendy expensive dinner. Homemade marshmallows are on the dessert table and every bite was delicious. Chipotle mac and cheese and bottomless mimosas made this place my brunch spot for forever.

Serendipity
The largest portions of any restaurant in Vegas. Great drinks and of course Frrozen Hot Chocolate. This place also has the largest desserts with everyone’s favorites. The trick is to make a reservation or you will wait forever.

Tea at Mandarin Oriental
This is a secret place. There is no help getting in or out of the hotel and you have to know where you’re going. It’s like stepping into 1930s Shanghai and it is creepy but exclusive. Curious to actually take the time and sit for tea next visit. There is also a super secret French restaurant on the top floor called Twist that has very high ratings and a nice spa. 

Sugar Factory
Serendipity’s main competitor, they have a nightclub attached to their dining room. They also have amazing dessert drinks including a huge fishbowl looking creation that I’m anxious to try.

The thing that gets me with Vegas is, even though everything is super delicious, you have to shell out a fortune to eat or go out. I did find some pretty awesome Southwest airfare and hotel package deals though, so I recommend that, the last time I went, we stayed at the Aria for two nights and flew on Southwest (for two people) for a total of 850 not including the hotel tax which is 25 dollars a day. So overall, a weekend in Vegas at the Aria in style was 900. Cheaper than Hawaii but still pretty expensive. Also, it’s cheaper to drive but it takes SO long from San Diego, so it was more worth it to pay extra and work on Friday before flying out. 
I’m also trying out the MGM’s new MLife program, but I’ve been having some trouble getting my recent receipts to add to my points so far to build discounts.

Thanks for reading! If you’re going to Vegas good luck and stay safe :)

2 comments:

  1. It's maria again. It sounds like you guys are THE peeps to go to vegas with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we should go! lol i've found the best way is to pick where you want to stay and we meet up somewhere. that way if there's something you do or don't want to do, you're able to go do your own thing and you don't have to wait for us or whoever has the key. for example, matt and i don't stay out as late (12:30 to 1 is our suddenly falling asleep time) so we could go back and sleep if our friends wanted to stay out later. we usually fly because it's faster but it's also more expensive so it's up to you! we also like to stay in the middle of the strip but not everyone likes that either. if you want to plan a trip let me know. i was debating between something in april or june. we usually book a package through southwest and stay somewhere between the cosmopolitan, aria, or vdara. i would really like to have high tea at the mandarin oriental next time we go. the aria and cosmo brunches are THE best, but i'm up for trying any nightclub! :D

      Delete